In astrology, a planet distant from another one-third of the
circle is said to be in trine; one-fourth, it is in square; one-sixth
or two signs, it is in sextile; but when one-half distant, it is said
to be “opposite.”
In sextile, square, and trine, and opposite
Of noxious efficacy.
Milton: Paradise Lost, x. 659.
N.B. Planets distant from each other six signs or half a circle have
opposite influences, and are therefore opposed to each other.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Trine from Fact Monster:
- River Brethren - River Brethren River Brethren, name used to designate certain Christian bodies originating in 1770, ...
- Brethren - Brethren Brethren, German Baptist religious group. They were popularly known as Dunkards, Dunkers, ...
- New Thought - New Thought New Thought, popular philosophical movement with religious implications; it affirms ...
- Rowing - Rowing (2000-meter course) Men Single Sculls: 1. Xeno Mueller, SWI (6:44.85); 2. Derek Porter, CAN ...
- Track & Field - Track & Field Men Event Time 100m Donovan Bailey, CAN 9.84 WR Frankie Fredericks, NAM 9.89 Ato ...