Tertullian (160-240) introduced this word into Christian
theology. The word triad is much older. Almost every mythology has a
threefold deity. (See Three.)
Otkon, Messou, and Atahuata.
Their “tri-murti” is a three-headed deity, representing Brahma
(as creator), Vishnu (as preserver), and Siva (as destroyer).
Hu, Ceridwen, and Craiwy. Cherusci, A three-headed god
called Triglat. Chinese have the trible goddess Pussa. Druids. Taulac, Fan, and Mollac. Egyptians. Osiris, Isis,
and Horus. Elousinian Mysteries. Bacchus, Persophone (4 syl.),
and Demeter. Goths. Woden, Frigga, and Thor.
Zeus (1 syl.), Aphrodite, and Apollo. Icsini of Britain. Got, Ertha, and Issus.
Vitzputzli, Tlaloc, and Tezcatlipoca. Perucians. Apomti,
Chureonti, and Chemoth. Persians (ancient). Their “Triplasian
deity” was Oromasdes, Mithras, and Arimanes. Phoenicious. Astaroth, Mileom, and Chemoth.
Jupiter (divine power), Minerva (divine Logos or wisdom), and Juno
(called “amor et delicium Jovis”). —Vossins: De Theologia Gentil, viii. 12. Their three chief deities were Jupiter, Neptnne, and Pluto.
Odin (who gave the breath of life), Hænir (who gave sense and
motion), and Lodur (who gave blood, colour, speech, sight, an hearing).
Belus, Venus, and Tamuz, etc.
Orpheus (2 syl.). His triad was Phanes, Uranos, and Kronos.
His triad was To Agathon (Goodness). Nous or Eternal Wisdom
(architect of the World) (see Proverbs iii. 19), and Psyche (the
His triad was the Monad or Unity, Nous or Wisdom, and Psyche
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Trinity from Fact Monster:
- Trinity, river, United States - Trinity Trinity, river rising in N Texas in three forks; the Clear Fork runs into the West Fork at ...
- Trinity, doctrine in Christianity - Trinity Trinity [Lat.,=threefoldness], fundamental doctrine in Christianity, by which God is ...
- Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area - Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area: Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation ...
- They Call Me Trinity (Lo chiamavano TrinitÃ ) - Starring Terence Hill, Farley Granger, Bud Spencer, Elena Pedemonte, Steffen Zacharias
- University of Dublin - Dublin, University of Dublin, University of, at Dublin, Ireland; founded 1591 by Queen Elizabeth I ...