A treaty entered into by England, Sweden, and Holland against Louis
XIV. in 1668. It ended in the treaty of Aixla-Chapelle. (See next
A treaty between England, France, and Holland against Charles XII.
This league was called the Quadruple after Germany joined it. (1717.)
A third (1789) between Great Britain, Holland, and Russia, against
Catherine of Russia in defence of Turkey.
A fourth in 1883, between Germany, Italy, and Austria, against
France and Russia.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Triple Alliance from Fact Monster:
- War of the Triple Alliance - Triple Alliance, War of the Triple Alliance, War of the, 1865–70, fought between Paraguay on ...
- Triple Alliance - Triple Alliance Triple Alliance, in European history, any of several coalitions. 1. The Triple ...
- 1800–1899 (A.D.) World History - 1800–1899 (A.D.) World History War of 1812 The Civil War Spanish-American War ...
- Entente Cordiale - Entente Cordiale: Entente Cordiale: see Triple Alliance and Triple Entente.
- Dual Alliance - Dual Alliance Dual Alliance, 1879–82: see Triple Alliance and Triple Entente.