A tale of a tub. A cock-and-bull story; a rigmarole,
nonsensical romance. The Tale of a Tub is a religious satire by
Throw a tub to the whale.
To create a diversion in order to avoid a real danger; to bamboozle
or mislead an enemy. In whaling, when a ship is threatened by a whole
school of whales, it is usual to throw a tub into the sea to divert
their attention, and to make off as fast as possible.
A tub of naked children.
Emblematical of St. Nicholas, in allusion to two boys murdered and
placed in a pickling tub by a landlord, but raised to life again by
this saint. (See Nicholas.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Tub from Fact Monster:
- Jett Travolta - Biography of Jett Travolta, Jett Travolta, the 16-year-old son of actors John Travolta and Kelly Preston, died while vacationing in the Bahamas. He suffered a seizure i…
- Diogenes - Diogenes Diogenes , c.412–323 B.C., Greek Cynic philosopher; pupil of Antisthenes. He was ...
- soapstone - soapstone soapstone or steatite, metamorphic rock of which the characteristic and usually chief ...
- Sir George Etherege - Etherege, Sir George Etherege, Sir George , 1636–1692, English dramatist. His witty, ...
- John Cusack - Biography of John Cusack, The star of High Fidelity and Hot Tub Time Machine