(The). The racecourse; the profession of horse-racing,
which is done on turf or grass. One who lives by the turf, or whose
means of living is derived from running horses or betting on races.
“All men are equal on the turf and under it.” —Lord George
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Turf from Fact Monster:
- lawn - lawn lawn, grass turf or greensward cultivated in private yard or public park. A good lawn, or ...
- turf - turf: turf: see lawn.
- fescue - fescue fescue , any of some 100 species of introduced Old World grasses of the genus Festuca. ...
- Wall of Antoninus - Antoninus, Wall of Antoninus, Wall of, ancient Roman wall extending across N Britain from the Firth ...
- horse racing - horse racing horse racing, trials of speed involving two or more horses. It includes races among ...