Piea (large type), litera picata, the great black
letter at the beginning of some new order in the liturgy. Brevier' (small type), used in printing the breviary.
Primer, now called “long primer,” (small type), used in
printing small prayer-books called primers.
A fount of types. A complete assortment contains 1,117,000 pieces of
a 8,500 h 6,400 o 8,000 v 1,200
b 1,600 i 8,000 p 1,700 w 2,000
c 3,000 j 400 q 500 x 400
d 4,100 k 800 r 6,200 y 2,000
e 12,000 l 4,000 s 8,000 z 200
f 2,500 m 3,000 t 9,000 ,4,500 ;800
g 1,700 n 8,000 u 3,400 .2,000 ;600
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Type from Fact Monster:
- Types of Literature - Types of literature and popular categories of books and stories from autobiographies to science fiction.
- Blood Types - Blood Types Human blood is grouped into four types: A, B, AB, and O. Each letter refers to a kind ...
- type metal - type metal type metal, alloy of lead with antimony, tin, and sometimes copper, so named because of ...
- Some Types of Scientists - Some Types of Scientists An agronomist specializes in soil and crops. An astronomer studies stars, ...
- type - type type, for printing, was invented in China (c.1040), using woodblocks. Related devices, such as ...