The evil genius of Egyptian mythology; also a furious
whirling wind in the Chinese seas. (Typhoon or typhon, the whirling
wind, is really the Chinese t'ai-fun [the great wind].)
Beneath the radiant line that girts the globe,
The circling Typhon, whirled from point to point.
Exhausting all the rage of all the sky,
And dire Eenephia, reign.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Typhoon' from Fact Monster:
- Typhoons - Typhoons 1906 Sept. 18, Hong Kong: typhoon with tsunami killed an estimated 10,000 people. 1934 ...
- typhoon - typhoon: typhoon: see hurricane.
- Beaufort Wind Scale - Beaufort Wind Scale In 1805, Sir Francis Beaufort, a rear admiral in the British navy, created the ...
- Major Storms - Major Storms Cyclones U.S. Hurricanes Other Hurricanes Typhoons Blizzards Cyclones, hurricanes, and ...
- International Cyclone Definitions - International Cyclone Definitions Hurricanes, Typhoons, and More A “tropical cyclone” ...