In Turkey, either a member of the college or the college
itself. The Ulema consists of the imaums, muftis, and cadis (ministers
of religion, doctors of law, and administrators of justice). “Ulema” is
the plural of ulim, a wise man.
“The Ulema is not an ecclesiastical body, except so far as law in
Mahometan countries is based on the Koran.” —Creasy: Ottoman Turks, vi. 105.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ulema from Fact Monster:
- Sarajevo - Sarajevo Sarajevo , city (1991 est. pop. 529,000), capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, on the ...
- The Taliban - Taliban, Afghanistan's ruling faction
- Ottoman Empire: History - History Origins The Ottoman state began as one of many small Turkish states that emerged in Asia ...
- Saudi Arabia: History - History Origins of Saudi Arabia As a political unit, Saudi Arabia is of relatively recent creation. ...
- Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Saudi Arabian Relations