A negro slave, noted for his fidelity, piety, and the faithful
discharge of all his duties. Being sold, he has to submit to the most
revolting cruelties. (Mrs. Beecher Stowe: Uncle Tom's Cabin.)
This tale was founded on the story of Josiah Henson (1787),
told to Mrs. Stowe by Henson himself.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Uncle Tom from Fact Monster:
- Harriet Beecher Stowe - Biography of Harriet Beecher Stowe, Author of Uncle Tom's Cabin
- Black History Quiz | African-American History (for Kids): 1 - African-American History (for Kids) Read more Black History Month features. Question 1: Which of ...
- Gamaliel Bailey - Bailey, Gamaliel Bailey, Gamaliel, 1807–59, American abolitionist editor, b. Mt. Holly, N.J. ...
- Josiah Henson - Henson, Josiah Henson, Josiah, 1789–1883, black slave, reputedly the basis of the character ...
- American literature: The Literature of a Split and a Reunited Nation - The Literature of a Split and a Reunited Nation The rising conflict between the North and the South ...