means a porter. (Old French, muisher, a door; whence huissier, an usher; Latin, ostiarius.) One who stands at the
door to usher visitors into the presence. (Scotch, Wishart.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Usher from Fact Monster:
- James Ussher - Ussher or Usher, James Ussher or Usher, James , 1581–1656, Irish prelate and scholar. While a ...
- James Usher - Usher, James: Usher, James: see Ussher, James.
- Usher - Biography of Usher, The R&B star who did "You Make Me Wanna..." and "Yeah"
- Paul Tagliabue - Paul Tagliabue Born: Nov. 24, 1940 Football NFL attorney who was elected league's 4th ...
- Benjamin Holt - Benjamin Holt Born: 1849 Birthplace: Concord, New Hampshire Track-type tractor—Holt ushered ...