Saxon out, as Utoxeter, in Staffordshire; Utrecht, in
Holland; “outer camp town”; the “out passage,” so called by Clotaire
because it was the grand passage over or out of the Rhine before that
river changed its bed. Utmost is out or outer-most. (See Utgard.)
“Strain at [ut. ‘out’] a gnat, and swallow a camel.” - Matt.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ut from Fact Monster:
- Utah - Information on Utah — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Gymnastics - Gymnastics Men Individual Points All-Around Vitaly Scherbo, UT 59.025 Grigoriy Misyutin, UT 58.925 ...
- Weightlifting - Weightlifting Event Flyweight (–1141/4 lbs) Ivan Ivanov, BUL Qisheng Lin, CHN Traian Joachim ...
- Greco-Roman Wrestling - Greco-Roman Wrestling Class Light-Flyweight (–1053/4 lbs) Oleg Kucherenko, UT Vincenzo ...
- Seasons for the Northern Hemisphere, 2008 - Solstices and equinoxes in universal time of 2008.