or Valanus. Mercury was the son of Valens and Phoronis.
This Mercury is called Trophonius in the regions under the earth. (Cicero De Nat. Deorum, iii. 22.)
Ciclinius [Mercury] riding in his hirachee
Fro Venus V'lanus might this palais see.
Chaucer: Compl. of Mars and Venus.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Valens from Fact Monster:
- Valens - Valens Valens , c.328–378, Roman emperor of the East (364–78). Brother and coregent of ...
- Ritchie Valens - Biography of Ritchie Valens, The teen star who sang 'La Bamba'
- Fritigern - Fritigern Fritigern , d. 380, Visigothic chieftain. An intermittent rival of Athanaric for ...
- Eutropius, Roman historian - Eutropius Eutropius , fl. 4th cent. A.D., Roman historian, a protégé of the emperors ...
- Athanaric - Athanaric Athanaric , d. 381, Visigothic chieftain. He led the Visigoths against Emperor Valens and ...