To vamp up an old story. To vamp is to put new uppers to old
boots. Vampes were short hose covering the feet and ankles. (Perhaps
the French avant-pied, the fore-part of the foot.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Vamp from Fact Monster:
- Theda Bara - Theda Bara actress Born: 7/29/1885 Birthplace: Cincinnati, Ohio Theodosia Goodman grew up ...
- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark - Biography of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, Vampy TV host of late-night horror movies
- Lou Reed - Biography of Lou Reed, Co-founder of The Velvet Underground
- Madonna - Biography of Madonna, Pop superstar singer of "Material Girl"
- Firsts in American Women's History - Firsts in American Women's History At least 12,000 years ago According to a theory accepted by ...