A fair established by Beelzebub, Apollyon, and Legion, for the
sale of all sorts of vanities. It was held in the town of Vanity, and
lasted all the year round. Here were sold houses, lands, trades,
places, honours, preferments, titles, countries, kingdoms, lusts,
pleasures, and delights of all sorts. (Bunyan: Pilgrim's Progress,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Vanity Fair from Fact Monster:
- charade - charade charade , verbal, written, or acted representation of a word, its syllables, or a number of ...
- Annie Leibovitz - Biography of Annie Leibovitz, Portrait photographer for Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair
- Dominick Dunne - Dominick Dunne journalist, novelist Born: 1926 Journalist and popular novelist who became a ...
- Artemus Ward - Ward, Artemus Ward, Artemus, pseud. of Charles Farrar Browne,1834–67, American humorist, b. ...
- Miguel Covarrubias - Covarrubias, Miguel Covarrubias, Miguel , 1902–57, American artist and writer, b. Mexico ...