The venom is in the tail. The real difficulty is the
conclusion. The allusion is to the scorpion, which has a sting in its
The French say, “It is always most difficult to flay the tail” (C'est lc plus difficile que d'écorcher la queue).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Venom from Fact Monster:
- venom - venom venom or zootoxin,any of a variety of poisonous substances produced by animals. In poisonous ...
- zootoxin - zootoxin: zootoxin: see venom.
- poison glands - poison glands: poison glands: see venom.
- snakebite - snakebite snakebite, wound inflicted by the teeth of a snake. The bite of a nonvenomous snake is ...
- gila monster - gila monster gila monster , venomous lizard, Heloderma suspectum, found in the deserts of the SW ...