(1 syl.). The Rabbins say that the fiend buried a lion, a lamb,
and a hog at the foot of the first vine planted by Noah; and that hence
men receive from wine ferocity, mildness, or wallowing in the mire. (See Midrash.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Vine from Fact Monster:
- vine - vine vine, climbing plantor trailing plant. The grape is often called “the vine.” See ...
- pepper-vine - pepper-vine: pepper-vine: see ampelopsis.
- pipe vine - pipe vine: pipe vine: see birthwort.
- cinnamon vine - cinnamon vine: cinnamon vine: see yam.
- ampelopsis - ampelopsis ampelopsis [Gr.,=looking like a vine], botanic name for woody ornamental vines of the ...