He has gone the vole - i.e. been everything by turns. Vole is a
deal at cards that draws the whole tricks. The verb vole means
to win all the tricks. Vole is a French word Faire la vole- i.e. “Faire soul toutes les levées,” de voler- i.e. enlever.
“Who is he [Edie Ochiltree]? Why, he has gone the vole - has been
soldier, ballad-singer, travelling tinker, and now a beggar.” —Sir W. Scott: The Antiquary, chap. iv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Vole from Fact Monster:
- vole - vole vole, name for a large number of mouselike rodents, related to the lemmings. Most range in ...
- tree mouse - tree mouse: tree mouse: see mouse; vole.
- meadow mouse - meadow mouse: meadow mouse: see vole.
- field mouse - field mouse: field mouse: see mouse; vole.
- lemming mouse - lemming mouse: lemming mouse: see vole.