Part of the great Romain stock. They occupied the low track
along the frontiers of the German-speaking territory, as Artois,
Hainault, Namur, Liége, Luxemburg, with parts of Flanders and
Brabant. (See Wales.)
“The Wallons ... are the Romanised Gauls, lineal
representatives of the ancient Belgae.”
—Encyclopoedia Britannica, vol. xxi. p.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Walloons from Fact Monster:
- Walloons - Walloons Walloons , group of people living in S Belgium who traditionally spoke a dialect of French ...
- Belgian literature - Belgian literature. Belgian literature. For literature in Flemish (Dutch), see Dutch and Flemish ...
- Mont-Saint-Jean - Mont-Saint-Jean Mont-Saint-Jean , village, Walloon Brabant prov., central Belgium, on a height S of ...
- Waterloo, town, Belgium - Waterloo Waterloo , commune (1991 pop. 27,860), Walloon Brabant prov., central Belgium, near ...
- Nivelles - Nivelles Nivelles , Du. Nijvel, city (1991 pop. 23,217), Walloon Brabant prov., central Belgium. It ...