[Land of the West Moors ]. Geoffrey of
Monmouth says (iv. 17) that Mar or Marius, son of Arviragus, one of
the descendants of Brutus the Trojan wanderer, killed Rodric, a Pict,
and set up a monument of his victory in a place which he called
“Westmar-land,” and the chronicler adds that the
“inscription of this stone remains to this day.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Westmoreland from Fact Monster:
- Lynn A. WESTMORELAND - WESTMORELAND, Lynn A. (1950—) WESTMORELAND, Lynn A., a Representative from Georgia; born in ...
- William Childs Westmoreland - Westmoreland, William Childs Westmoreland, William Childs, 1914–2005, U.S. general, b. ...
- - Can't read file virginia/westmoreland-county/default.html
- - Can't read file pennsylvania/westmoreland-county/default.html
- James Monroe - Monroe, James Monroe, James, 1758–1831, 5th President of the United States (1817–25), ...