of Wantage (Berkshire), cut in the chalk hills. This horse
commemorates a great victory gained by Alfred over the Danes, in the
reign of his brother Ethelred I. The battle is called the battle of
AEseesdun (Ashtreehill). The horse is 374 feet long, and may be seen
at the distance of fifteen miles. (Dr.
An annual ceremony was once held, called “Scouring the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on White Horse from Fact Monster:
- Vale of the White Horse - White Horse, Vale of the White Horse, Vale of the, district (1991 pop. 109,200), Oxfordshire, S ...
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , allegorical figures in the Book ...
- Sankt Wolfgang - Sankt Wolfgang Sankt Wolfgang , town, Upper Austria prov., in the Salzkammergut, on the Wolfgang ...
- pinto horse - pinto horse pinto horse, American light horse, characterized by large, irregular color ...
- Wayland Smith - Wayland Smith Wayland Smith, in English folklore, a skillful blacksmith and great armor maker, ...