The presidential mansion in the United States. It is a building
of freestone, painted white, at Washington. Figuratively, it means the
Presidency; as, “He has his eye on the White House.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on White House from Fact Monster:
- The White House - The White House Source: The White House Choosing a City In the late 1700s, it was decided that our ...
- America's Favorite Structures - The best architecture in the United States
- National Landmarks: Memorials, landmarks, national symbols - Major U.S. landmarks: the Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument, Arlington National Cemetery, Washington D.C. memorials and landmarks, national symbols, and much more.
- Washington, D.C. Memorials and Landmarks - Washington, D.C. Memorials and Landmarks Arlington National Cemetery Arlington National Cemetery ...
- Pets in the White House - New First Pets Spot, Ernie, and India go to Washington by Holly Hartman Socks on the podium in the ...