Unexpected legacy; money which has come de
coelo. Some of the English nobility were forbidden by the
tenure of their estates to fell timber, all the trees being reserved
for the use of the Royal Navy. Those trees, however, which
were blown down were excepted, and hence a good
wind was often a great godsend.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Windfall from Fact Monster:
- tort - tort tort, in law, the violation of some duty clearly set by law, not by a specific agreement ...
- Manna from Heaven - Starring Ursula Burton, Cloris Leachman, Louise Fletcher, Shirley Jones, Wendie Malick
- Venezuela - World—Country Profiles U.S. Department of State Background Note Venezuela People hike in the ...
- Kuwait - Kuwait Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, Defense, U.S.-Kuwaiti Relations
- Mongolia - Mongolia Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Mongolian Relations