(Rip van). A Dutch colonist of New York. He
met with a strange man in a ravine of the Kaatskill Mountains. Rip
helps him to carry a keg, and when they reach the destination Rip sees
a number of odd creatures playing nine-pins, but no one utters a word.
Master Winkle seizes the first opportunity to take a sip at the keg,
falls into a stupor, and sleeps for twenty years. On waking, his wife
is dead and buried, his daughter is married, his native village has
been remodelled, and America has become independent.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Winkle from Fact Monster:
- Peter Godwin VAN WINKLE - VAN WINKLE, Peter Godwin (1808—1872) Senate Years of Service: 1863-1867; 1867-1869 Party: ...
- Catskill - Catskill Catskill , village (1990 pop. 4,690), seat of Greene co., SE N.Y., on the Hudson River; ...
- George Whitefield Chadwick - Chadwick, George Whitefield Chadwick, George Whitefield, 1854–1931, American composer, b. ...
- Catskill Mountains - Catskill Mountains Catskill Mountains, dissected plateau of the Appalachian Mt. system, SE N.Y., W ...
- Dion Boucicault - Boucicault, Dion Boucicault, Dion , 1822?–1890, Anglo-Irish dramatist and actor. At 19 he had ...