(A). A fool is so called from the
supposition that woodcocks are without brains. Polonius tells his
daughter that protestations of love are “springes to catch
Hamlet, i. 3.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Woodcock from Fact Monster:
- snipe - snipe snipe, common name for a shore bird of the family Scolopacidae (sandpiper family), native to ...
- woodcock - woodcock: woodcock: see snipe.
- David WOODCOCK - WOODCOCK, David (1785—1835) WOODCOCK, David, a Representative from New York; was born in ...
- Leonard Freel Woodcock - Woodcock, Leonard Freel Woodcock, Leonard Freel, 1911–2000, American labor leader, b. ...
- North Attleboro - North Attleboro North Attleboro , industrial town (1990 pop. 25,038), Bristol co., SE Mass., near ...