To have a worm in one's tongue. To be cantankerous; to snarl and
bite like a mad dog.
There is one easy artifice
That seldom has been known to miss -
To snarl at all things right or wrong.
Like a mad dog that has a worm in's tongue.
Upon Modern Critics.
To worm out information. To elicit information indirectly and
piecemeal. To worm oneself into another's favour.
To insinuate oneself in an underhand manner into the good graces of
A worm is a spiral instrument resembling a double corkscrew,
used for drawing wads and cartridges from cannon, etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Worm from Fact Monster:
- sand worm - sand worm sand worm, name applied to a number of marine sand-dwelling Worms used as bait in ...
- Diet of Worms - Worms, Diet of Worms, Diet of, 1521, most famous of the imperial diets held at Worms, Germany. It ...
- Concordat of Worms - Worms, Concordat of Worms, Concordat of, 1122, agreement reached by Pope Calixtus II and Holy Roman ...
- cankerworm - cankerworm cankerworm, name for two destructive inchworms, or larvae of geometrid moths. The spring ...
- earthworm - earthworm earthworm, terrestrial, cylindrical segmented worm of the class Oligochaeta. There are ...