Yarn or thread made of wool; so called from Worsted in Norfolk,
now a village, but once a large market-town with at least as many
thousand inhabitants as it now contains hundreds.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Worsted from Fact Monster:
- wool - wool wool, fiber made from the fleece of the domestic sheep. Sections in this article: Introduction ...
- worsted - worsted: worsted: see wool.
- Worst Weather of the Twentieth Century - Worst Weather of the Twentieth Century Climatologists, meteorologists, and hydrologists at the ...
- Worst U.S. Forest Fires - Worst U.S. Forest Fires 1871 Oct. 8–14, Peshtigo, Wis: over 1,500 lives lost and 3.8 million ...
- Worst United States Disasters - Find information on the worst United States Disasters in history, including aircraft crashes, blizzards, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, and more.