(The). The eggs of this bird are spotted with red. The
tradition is that the bird fluttered about the Cross, and got stained
with the blood in its plumage, and by way of punishment its eggs were
doomed ever after to bear marks of blood. 'Tis a very lame story, but
helps to show how in former times every possible thing was made to bear
some allusion to the Redeemer. Because the bird was “cursed,” boys who
abstain from plundering the eggs of small birds, were taught that it is
as right and proper to destroy the eggs of the bunting as to persecute
a Jew. (See Christian Traditions.)
Hammer is a corruption of the German ammer, a bunting.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Yellowhammer from Fact Monster:
- yellowhammer - yellowhammer: yellowhammer: see woodpecker.
- Alabama, state, United States: Facts and Figures - Facts and Figures Area, 51,609 sq mi (133,677 sq km). Pop. (2000) 4,447,100, a 10.1% increase since ...
- bunting - bunting bunting, common name for small, plump birds of the family Fringillidae (finch family). ...
- Alabama - Information on Alabama — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- State Nicknames - State Nicknames Alabama Yellowhammer State Alaska The state is commonly called “The Last ...