(London), by Inigo Jones. The only remains left of the splendid mansion of the Buckinghams. The site is part of the precincts of a palace belonging to the bishops of Norwich. It then passed to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, then to the archbishops of York, then to the Crown, then to the Duke of Buckingham, who rebuilt it. The second Duke of Buckingham pulled it down, and converted it into the five streets, etc., called respectively, “George,” “Villiers,” “Duke,” “Of,” “Buckingham.” The gate leading to the Thames is the only part of this mansion which remains.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894