The statues dispersed about the grounds on which the public
games of Greece were celebrated. They were the produce of fines imposed
on those who infringed the regulations.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Zanes from Fact Monster:
- Billy Zane - Billy Zane (William George Zane, Jr.) actor Born: 2/24/1966 Birthplace: Chicago Zane made his film ...
- Ebenezer Zane - Zane, Ebenezer Zane, Ebenezer, 1747–1811, American pioneer and land speculator, b. near what ...
- Zane Grey - Grey, Zane Grey, Zane, 1872–1939, American writer of Western stories, b. Zanesville, Ohio, as ...
- Edward Zane Carroll Judson - Judson, Edward Zane Carroll: Judson, Edward Zane Carroll: see Buntline, Ned.
- Zane Grey - Biography of Zane Grey, Author of Riders of the Purple Sage