An imaginary belt or zone in the heavens, extending about eight
degrees each side of the ecliptic.
Signs of the Zodiac.
The zodiac is divided into twelve equal parts, proceeding from west
to east; each part is thirty degrees, and is distinguished by a sign.
Beginning with “Arie,” we have first six northern and then six southern signs—i.e. six on the north side and six on the
south side of the equator; beginning with
“Capricornus,” we have six ascending and then six descending signs —i.e. six which ascend higher and higher
towards the north, and six which descend lower and lower towards the
south. The six northern signs are: Aries (the ram), Taurus (the bull), Gemini (the twins), spring signs; Cancer (the
crab), Leo (the lion), Virgo (the virgin), summer signs.
The six southern are: Libra (the balance), Scorpio (the
scorpion), Sagittarius (the archer), autumn signs; Capricornus (the goat), Aquarius (the water-bearer) and Pisces (the fishes), winter signs. (Greek, zo-on, living
Our vernal signs the RAM begins,
Then comes the BULL, in May the TWINS;
The CRAB in June, next LEO shines,
And VIRGO ends the northern signs.
The BALANCE brings autumnal fruits,
The SCORPION stings, the ARCHER shoots;
December's GOAT brings wintry blast,
AQUARIUS rain, the FISH come last.
E. C. B.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Zodiac from Fact Monster:
- zodiac - zodiac zodiac [Gr. zoion=animal], in astronomy, zone of the sky that includes about 8° on ...
- The Zodiac - The Zodiac The constellations have been called humanity's oldest picture book. For 5,000 and ...
- Astrological Profile - Astrological profile zodiac sign dates personality from Aries to Pisces.
- Astrology - Science and religion have roundly denounced it for hundred of years, yet it finds its way into newspapers, movie studios—even the White House. What makes Astrology so compelling?
- The Constellations - The Constellations Constellations are groupings of stars that form easily recognized and remembered ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring