stabile (stāˈbēl) [key], an abstract construction that is completely stationary. The form was pioneered by Alexander Calder, and examples were termed stabiles to distinguish them from mobiles, their moving counterparts, also invented by Calder.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on stabile from Fact Monster:
- equilibrium - equilibrium equilibrium, state of balance. When a body or a system is in equilibrium, there is no ...
- stabilizer - stabilizer: stabilizer: see airplane.
- stability - stability: stability: see equilibrium.
- airplane - airplane airplane, aeroplane,or aircraft,heavier-than-air vehicle, mechanically driven and fitted ...
- Omar Bongo - Bongo, Omar Bongo, Omar (El Hadj Omar Bongo Ondimba), 1935–, Gabonese political leader, ...
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Art: General