tom-tom, name popularly applied to high-pitched hand drums, usually barrel-shaped and having either one or two drumheads of skin. They are tunable to specific pitches. Supposedly of Native American or Asian origin, they are sometimes used in modern dance orchestras for special effects. The terms tom-tom and tam-tam are sometimes confused; the latter is another name for the gong.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on tom-tom from Fact Monster:
- Tom - Tom Tom , river, c.525 mi (840 km) long, rising in the Alatau range, S Siberian Russia. It flows N ...
- Knock Knock Jokes - Knock Knock Jokes
- percussion instrument - percussion instrument percussion instrument, any instrument that produces musical sound when its ...
- Rihanna - Biography of Rihanna, Singer of the hit single "Umbrella"
- Encyclopedia: Music: Theory, Forms, and Instruments - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Music: Theory, Forms, and Instruments.