Fort Hall, trading post on the Snake River, near Pocatello, SE Idaho; est. 1834 by U.S. trader Nathaniel Wyeth. It was sold in 1836 to the Hudson's Bay Company, which occupied the post until 1856. Fort Hall was the main stopping point on the Oregon Trail W of Fort Bridger. It was destroyed by floods in 1862 and 1864.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.