Institute of International Law, Fr., Institut de Droit International, private international organization, est. 1873 in Ghent, Belgium, dedicated to the study, development, and implementation of international law and, through that law, the promotion of international peace. It was formed by 11 international jurists led by Gustave Rolin-Jaequemymns, editor of a prominent legal journal. Its early causes included insuring the safety of the Suez Canal, obtaining extradition pacts, establishing wartime communications, and implementing resolutions of the Hague Conferences. In recognition of its contributions to international peace, the organization was awarded the 1904 Nobel Peace Prize. Based in the home city of its secretary-general, who is elected every three sessions, the institute has a membership of 132 eminent international jurists and legal scholars who meet to discuss various current legal issues, stress the struggle for human rights and peace, and promote the principles of international law.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.