Absalom (ăbˈsəlŏm) [key], in the Bible, son of David. He murdered his half-brother Amnon for the rape of their sister Tamar, and fled. No sooner was he reconciled with his father than he incited a rebellion in which he was killed by Joab and his armor-bearers. David's subsequent lament is recorded in Second Samuel. The form Abishalom is found in First Kings.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Absalom from Fact Monster:
- Abishalom - Abishalom Abishalom : see Absalom.
- Hushai - Hushai Hushai , in the Bible, friend of David, who set him to spy on Absalom.
- Amnon - Amnon. Amnon. In the Bible, David's eldest son. He raped his half sister Tamar and was killed ...
- Baal-hazor - Baal-hazor Baal-hazor , in the Bible, holy place where Absalom's servant killed Amnon.
- Maachah, persons in the Bible - Maachah Maachah or Maacah, in the Bible. 1. Absalom's mother. 2. See Maoch. 3. Idolatrous wife ...