Ahasuerus (āhăsˌyōēˈrəs) [key], Hebrew form of the name Xerxes, as used in the Bible. The Ahasuerus in the Book of Esther is probably Xerxes I. That in the Book of Tobit may be Cyaxares I, destroyer of Nineveh. The name of the father of Darius the Mede is also given as Ahasuerus.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ahasuerus from Fact Monster:
- What is Purim? - Celebration and history of Purim|In 2011, Purim begins at sundown on March 20. Find information about Purim, The Book of Ester, The King's Party, The Rise of Haman, and more.
- Memucan - Memucan Memucan , counselor of King Ahasuerus.
- Carshena - Carshena Carshena , in the Bible, counselor of Ahasuerus.
- Biztha - Biztha Biztha , in the Bible, chamberlain of Ahasuerus.
- Admatha - Admatha Admatha , in the Bible, counselor of Ahasuerus.