Haman (hāˈmən) [key] or Aman āˈ–, in the Bible, favored minister of Ahasuerus. He commanded that all Jews be put to death. Esther interceded for her people, and Haman was hanged on the gallows he had set up for Mordecai.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Haman from Fact Monster:
- What is Purim? - Celebration and history of Purim|In 2011, Purim begins at sundown on March 20. Find information about Purim, The Book of Ester, The King's Party, The Rise of Haman, and more.
- Aman - Aman Aman , the same as Haman.
- Zeresh - Zeresh Zeresh , in the Bible, Haman's wife.
- Aridatha - Aridatha Aridatha , in the Bible, son of Haman.
- Arisai - Arisai Arisai , in the Bible, son of Haman.