Harlow, Jean, 1911–37, American movie star, b. Kansas City, Mo., as Harlean Carpentier. Harlow brought charm and a sexual knowingness to a series of comedies during the 1930s, becoming the model of feminine sexuality in films for the next decade. The original platinum blond, she played the tough working girl whatever her characters' actual social standing, frequently upsetting the decorum of the well-to-do. Her films include Platinum Blonde (1931), Red Dust (1932), Bombshell (1933), Dinner at Eight (1933), Libelled Lady (1936), and Saratoga (1937). She died of uremic poisoning at 26.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Jean Harlow from Fact Monster:
- Jean Harlow - Jean Harlow (Harlean Carpenter) actress Born: 3/3/1911 Birthplace: Kansas City, Missouri Film ...
- Gilbert Adrian - Adrian, Gilbert Adrian, Gilbert, 1903–59, popularly known simply as Adrian, fashion designer, ...
- Top 50 Greatest Screen Legends - The following list includes the top 50 greatest screen legends of all time, according to the American Film Institute, including actors such as Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, and James Stewart.
- Gwen Stefani - Biography of Gwen Stefani, The platinum-blonde singer of "Hollaback Girl"
- Kansas City, Mo. - Information on Kansas City, Mo. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.