Jehu (jēˈhyō) [key]. 1 King of Israel. He was anointed king by Elisha, who led the revolt against the house of Ahab. Jehu murdered King Jehoram of Israel and King Ahaziah of Judah and the rest of the house of Ahab. Jehu's rapid chariot driving has become proverbial. To receive protection from Assyria, Jehu paid tribute to Shalmaneser III, an event depicted on the black obelisk in the British Museum. His son Jehoahaz succeeded him. 2 Prophet under Kings Baasha and Jehoshaphat. 3 Descendant of Judah. 4 Simeonite. 5 One of those who joined David at Ziklag.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Jehu from Fact Monster:
- Nimshi - Nimshi Nimshi , in the Bible, grandfather of Jehu; also called father of Jehu.
- Josibiah - Josibiah Josibiah , in the Bible, father of Jehu the Simeonite.
- Bidkar - Bidkar Bidkar, in the Bible, captain under Ahab and Jehu.
- Jonadab - Jonadab Jonadab , in the Bible. 1. Nephew of David. 2. Founder of the Rechabites and a companion of ...
- Hanani - Hanani Hanani , in the Bible. 1. Chief singer of David. 2. Seer who reproved Asa. Apparently this ...