Joab (jōˈăb) [key], in the Bible, son of David's sister Zeruiah and commander of his uncle's armies. A trusted and skillful administrator, he was often vindictive and cruel, as in his killing of Abner, Absalom, and Amasa. David's dying curse on Joab is remarkable. For his support of Adonijah, Solomon had him put to death.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Joab from Fact Monster:
- Zeruiah - Zeruiah Zeruiah , in the Bible, sister of David and mother of Joab.
- Naharai - Naharai Naharai or Nahari, in the Bible, armor-bearer of Joab.
- Cushi - Cushi Cushi , in the Bible. 1. Messenger of Joab. 2. Ancestor of one of Jehoiakim's courtiers. ...
- Asahel - Asahel Asahel , in the Bible, David's nephew. Murdered by Abner, he was avenged by his brother ...
- Sirah - Sirah Sirah , in the Bible, a well, between Hebron and Jerusalem, where Abner was intercepted by ...