Martin, John, 1789–1854, English painter and engraver. Martin's visionary and grandiose landscapes, the pictorial counterparts of English romantic poetry, won him international popularity. He is also known for his illustrations for the Bible and Milton's Paradise Lost (1827).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on John Martin from Fact Monster:
- John MARTIN - MARTIN, John (1833—1913) Senate Years of Service: 1893-1895 Party: Democrat MARTIN, John, a ...
- Joseph John MARTIN - MARTIN, Joseph John (1833—1900) MARTIN, Joseph John, a Representative from North Carolina; ...
- John Ford, American film director - Ford, John Ford, John, 1895–1973, American film director, b. Cape Elizabeth, Maine, as John ...
- Arkansas, river, United States - Arkansas Arkansas , river, c.1,450 mi (2,330 km) long, rising in the Rocky Mts., central Colo., and ...
- John Ford - Biography of John Ford, Director of The Searchers and other Hollywood westerns