Mattathias (mătˌəthĪˈəs) [key] [Gr. variant of Mattithiah]. 1, 2 Two in Luke's genealogy. 3 Father of the Maccabees. 4 Captain under Jonathan, the Maccabee. 5 Son of Simon, the Maccabee, murdered with his father. 6 Envoy from Nicanor to Judas Maccabeus.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Mattathias from Fact Monster:
- Mattithiah - Mattithiah Mattithiah , in the Bible. 1. Overseer in the temple. 2. Musician of David. 3. Assistant ...
- Judas Maccabeus - Biography of Judas Maccabeus, The Jewish warrior who instituted Hanukkah
- Maccabees, Jewish family - Maccabees Maccabees or Machabees, Jewish family of the 2d and 1st cent. B.C. that brought about a ...
- Flavius Josephus - Biography of Flavius Josephus, Jewish historian of the 1st century
- Hanukkah - The Festival of Lights