Mostel, Zero (mŏsˌtĕlˈ) [key], 1915–77, American actor, b. New York City as Samuel Joel Mostel. Mostel made his Broadway debut in Keep 'Em Laughing (1942). A comic actor with an expressive face, he combined a large paunch with acrobatic grace. His major stage appearances include Ulysses in Nighttown (1958 and 1974), Rhinoceros (1961; film, 1973), A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1962; film, 1966), and Fiddler on the Roof (1964). Mostel's other films include The Producers (1968).
See his Zero by Mostel (1965).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Zero Mostel from Fact Monster:
- Zero Mostel - Zero Mostel (Samuel Joel Mostel) actor Born: 2/28/1915 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York After working ...
- Elia Kazan - Elia Kazan—Genius or Informant? Half a century after McCarthyism, the Academy Award-winning ...
- February 28 Birthdays: Linus Pauling - February 28 birthdays: Linus Pauling, Ben Hecht, Rene Antoine Ferchault de Reaumur, Bugsy Siegel, Mary Lyon, Michel de Montaigne, Mario Andretti, Zero Mostel
- Writing Well: Write This Way - Writing Well Write This Way Writing Well In the Hot Seat: Writing Under Pressure What's the Big ...
- Selected Biographies: M - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters