Nethinim (nĕthˈĭnĭm) [key], in the Bible, alien captives of the Jews who performed the humblest tasks of the temple. Their lot improved until in post-Exilic times they became the equals of other temple officials.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Nethinim from Fact Monster:
- Gahar - Gahar Gahar , in the Bible, Nethinim family returning with Zerubbabel.
- Gispa - Gispa Gispa , in the Bible, one of the overseers of the Nethinim.
- Neziah - Neziah Neziah , in the Bible, family of Nethinim returned from the Exile.
- Hasupha - Hasupha Hasupha , in the Bible, family of Nethinim. An alternate form is Hashupha.
- Ophel - Ophel Ophel , hill in ancient Jerusalem. In the Bible, it was the dwelling place of Nethinim.