Powhatan (pouˌətănˈ) [key], d. 1618, Native North American chief of the Powhatan tribe in Virginia, whose personal name was Wahunsonacock. He greatly extended the dominion of the Powhatan Confederacy and after the marriage (1614) of his daughter Pocahontas to John Rolfe kept peace with the English colonists.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Powhatan from Fact Monster:
- Samuel Powhatan Carter - Carter, Samuel Powhatan Carter, Samuel Powhatan , 1819–91, American naval officer and Union ...
- American-Indian Biographies—A to Z - Biographies of notable American Indians
- - Can't read file virginia/powhatan-county/default.html
- American Indian Tribes - Information about various nations and groups of American Indians
- Opechancanough - Opechancanough Pamunkey Indian chief; later chief of Powhatan Confederacy Born: c. 1545 Birthplace: ...