Reid, Harry, 1939–, U.S. senator from Nevada (1987–), b. Searchlight, Nev. A Democrat and a lawyer, he served in the Nevada state assembly (1969–70), as lieutenant governor (1970–74), and as chairman (1977–81) of the Nevada Gaming Commission before winning a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 1982. First elected to the U.S. Senate in 1986, he was Senate Democratic whip (1999–2005) before he became Senate minority leader (2005–7) and majority leader (2007–). A moderate conservative known for his amiable manner, he is also regarded as a tough and tenacious legislator and party leader.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Harry Reid from Fact Monster:
- Harry REID - REID, Harry (1939—) Senate Years of Service: 1987- Party: Democrat REID, Harry, a ...
- Nevada - Information on Nevada — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- November 2010 Current Events: U.S. News - Current events in the United States for the month of November 2010, including Don't Ask Don't Tell, President Barack Obama, and recession details.
- The Senate - The Senate Dates in left column indicate term in office; birth years are given in parentheses after ...
- 2006 Midterm Elections: The Senate - 2006 Midterm Elections: The Senate Dates in left column indicate term in office; birth years are ...