Rudolph, Paul Marvin, 1918–97, American modernist architect, b. Elkton, Ky. Rudolph taught at several universities and served as chair of the Yale Univ. architecture department from 1958–65. He was one of the most influential American architects of the mid-20th cent., creating buildings that were often characterized by boldly contrasting masses, complexly interlocking spaces, and innovative surfaces. He designed the Jewett Art Center (1959) at Wellesley College, the Greeley (Colo.) Forestry Building (1959), the Government Service Center in Boston (1963), and the famous Art and Architecture Building (1964, now Paul Rudolph Hall) at Yale. His other works include the Earl Brydges Memorial Library in Niagara Falls, N.Y. (1970–75), and the Burroughs Wellcome corporate headquarters (1970) and the Chapel at the Chandler School of Theology (1979) in Atlanta. Many of his highly spatial later commissions were in Southeast Asia, e.g., Beach Road II, Singapore (1981–82), and the Dharmala office building, Jakarta (1986).
See his book on architecture (1970); study by R. Spade (1971); T. Monk, The Art and Architecture of Paul Rudolph (1999); E. Stoller, The Yale Art & Architecture Building (1999); R. De Alba, Paul Rudolph: The Late Work (2003).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.