Schadow, Johann Gottfried (yōˈhän gôtˈfrēt shäˈdôf) [key], 1764–1850, German sculptor of the neoclassical school. He studied in Rome. In 1788 he returned to Berlin, where he became court sculptor. Among his best-known works are the tomb of Count Alexander von der Mark in Berlin; the Quadriga on the Brandenburg Gate, Berlin; statues of Leopold von Dessau and Frederick the Great; and monuments to Blücher at Rostock and to Luther at Wittenberg. His son Rudolph Schadow, 1786–1822, also a sculptor, was a follower of Canova and Thorvaldsen. Another son, Friedrich Wilhelm von Schadow-Godenhaus, 1789–1862, German religious and historical painter, was one of the Nazarenes. He was (1826–59) director of the Düsseldorf Academy.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.