Shem, in the Bible, eldest son of Noah; presented as the ancestor of the Semites, particularly of the Hebrews and Arabs. An apocalypse called the Paraphrase of Shem was found among the Nag Hammadi codices. The Treatise of Shem, known from a 15th-century Syriac manuscript, is an astrological almanac.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Shem from Fact Monster:
- Baal-Shem-Tov - Baal-Shem-Tov Baal-Shem-Tov , c.1698–1760, Jewish founder of modern Hasidism, b. Ukraine. His ...
- Sem - Sem Sem, variant of Shem.
- Uzal - Uzal Uzal , in the Bible, descendant of Shem whose clan settled in S Arabia. It is also called ...
- Meshech - Meshech Meshech , in the Bible. 1. Son of Japheth. It is also spelled Mesech. 2. Son of Shem.
- Jobab - Jobab Jobab , in the Bible. 1. Descendant of Shem. 2. King of Edom. 3. Chief defeated by Joshua.