Watson, Tom (Thomas Sturges Watson), 1949–, American golfer, b. Kansas City, Mo. Considered the successor to Jack Nicklaus as the game's foremost player in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Watson won the British Open in 1975, 1977, 1980, 1982, and 1987, the Masters in 1977 and 1981, the U.S. Open in 1982, and the Senior Tour Championship in 2000.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Tom Watson from Fact Monster:
- Tom Watson - Tom Watson Born: Sept. 4, 1949 Golfer 6-time PGA Player of the Year (1977-80,82,84); has won 5 ...
- Tom Watson - Biography of Tom Watson, The golfer who beat Jack Nicklaus in the 1977 British Open
- C. Vann Woodward, - C. Vann Woodward, Comer Vann Woodward historian Born: 11/13/1908 Birthplace: Vanndale, Arkansas ...
- British Open Champions: winners since 1920 - Find the winners of the British Open golf tournament from 1920 to the present
- U.S. Open 2000 - Joy and Payne: The U.S. Open Turns 100 Payne Stewart celebrates after sinking his 15-foot putt on ...